MAERSK CHAMPION - Fire on 9 January 2012


On 9 January 2012, a fire broke out in the ship’s hospital of MAERSK CHAMPION that was engaged in tanker lifting/heading control off the Brazilian coast.

The cause of the fire was self ignition by a chemical reaction between chlorine-containing granules and other chemical substances in a plastic box with medicine and chemical residues located in the ship's hospital.
The fire was fought effectively by the ship’s crew. 

The ship’s hospital burned out and the adjoining compartments in the accommodation were also damaged as a result of the fire. 

The report can be downloaded in PDF format here.